It’s cold outside! I’ve been in comfort food mode lately, and this is the perfect cozy, cold weather main dish. Assemble this roast in the slow cooker in the morning or at lunch time. Savor the aroma all afternoon, or be greeted by the yumminess as you come home from work. The sugar from the cola adds sweetness to the meat and helps to tenderize it.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup cola-flavored carbonated beverage
- 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce seasoning mix (a store bought packet would also work)
- 1 coarsely chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery (about 3-4 stalks, give or take)
- 1 additional teaspoon salt (the sauce seasoning mix has salt in it as well – so you can omit this if you’re watching your salt)
- Additional garlic, minced, if desired (there’s dry minced garlic in the seasoning mix, too)
- 3 lbs. beef chuck roast (the roast pictured above is bottom round)
- In a large bowl, break up tomatoes in their juice. Stir in cola, spaghetti sauce seasoning mix, celery, and the additional salt and garlic if desired. Stir until spaghetti sauce mix is dissolved.
- Place the onion in the crock pot and put the roast right on top. Pour the sauce mixture over the roast and cover.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
So how about you? What’s your favorite cold weather comfort food? Link to the recipe in the comments – I’d love to check it out!
2 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Cola Pot Roast”
It’s got to be a roast dinner I think, probably chicken with lots of vegetables.
Mmmm. Yes, chicken and veggies make a great comfort meal, too! We’re making chicken and brussels sprouts later this week.