The kids are not real big breakfast food eaters over here. Because of this, we have developed a sort of predictable breakfast schedule that includes foods I know they enjoy. Wednesday is always “Waffle Wednesday.” Below is our tried and true recipe for buttermilk waffles.
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
1. In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients, in a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients.
2. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture until just combined. Don’t over-mix because you will loose the fluffiness of the waffles.
3. Pour approx. 4 heaping spoonfuls of batter into the center of the waffle iron. This will vary depending on the size of your iron. A good guide is to stay within 1 inch of the edge to allow the batter to spread. Close the lid.
4. Cook until the steam coming off the waffle iron lessens or thins, this is usually about 4 minutes.
5. Once prepared, enjoy with your favorite toppings!
I’m linked up to: