Several weeks ago, our family attended a memorial service for an extended family member. Afterward, the entire extended family had the pleasure of dining in the home of an Amish family in the area. These pretty little jellos greeted us as we arrived and served as our appetizer.
My daughter and I were so enamored with this little layered jello concoction we decided to recreate it back at home using our host’s recipe (she had a little cookbook available for sale – I don’t think I’ve ever pounced on a cookbook faster.) After tossing around jello flavor ideas we decided on strawberry and lemon flavors.
Here’s our version!
Strawberry Lemonade Jello
2 (3 oz. ea.) boxes of strawberry jello
2 (3 oz. ea.) boxes of lemon jello
1. In a mixing bowl (preferably one you can easily pour from,) mix your strawberry jello packets with 2 cups boiling water.
2. Take 1 cup of the mixture and in a separate small bowl, mix it with 1/4 cup sour cream until the sour cream is fully incorporated. Set aside at room temperature.
3. Pour the jello (that you did not mix with sour cream) into a 9 x 13 pan and chill. It should only take about 10-15 minutes to set up.
4. Once set, remove the dish and gently pour the sour cream mixture on the top. Stick back in the fridge to chill for another 10-15 minutes.
5. Rinse out your bowls and repeat this process for your lemon flavor, completing 2 more layers. Chill completely and serve!
You can play with whatever flavors you wish – orange pineapple, lemon lime, whatever! We are planning to try a blue raspberry/ red raspberry combo for July Fourth, cut into stars like these, which we brought to a picnic on memorial day!
4 thoughts on “Strawberry Lemonade Jello”
Very cute–very sweet!
Sounds great. My husband would love it I will give it a try.