Oatmeal Raspberry Bars

I think my body must be craving oats. Last week, I made apple crisp for dessert one night, and then I posted the instant oatmeal recipe. Then on Saturday, I made these oatmeal raspberry bars to bring to a ladies’ breakfast at a friend’s home. Or maybe it had something to do with the fact that I wanted to bake, but we had no eggs in the house most of last week, and an abundance of oats. That could be why! LOL Either way, I hope you enjoy the recipe! These remind me of cereal bars. They keep great in the fridge (if they last that long!) If you don’t like raspberry, feel free to experiment with other jams and preserves!

Oatmeal Raspberry Bars
Click here for a printable version of this post

• ½ cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup butter, softened (I use Earth Balance Spread)
  • ¾ cup seedless raspberry jam

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 8 inch square pan.

2.Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Blend in the butter using your hands, stand mixer, or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture. Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.

3.Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.

16 thoughts on “Oatmeal Raspberry Bars

• Robin Jean Marie says:

I like that it only calls for 1/2 c brown sugar. I almost always cut the sugar in half, with whatever recipe I’m using, and I find that the result is typically sweet enough.

• Becky says:

I agree. I usually do the same, in fact, I think I did that with the instant oatmeal mix recipe. In addition to taking out some sugar, sometimes I will try using agave or honey instead, if the recipe would work with it.

• Robin Jean Marie says:

I have an apple/blackberry crisp and a peach/blueberry cobbler that I kept cutting-down on the sugar until now I make them with no sugar at all–or maybe just a teaspoon or two. But, they’re delicious, and the flavor of the fruit really comes through. 🙂

1. lifeonthecutoff says:

These sound (and look) delicious, Becky. I was just doing some blog catch-up, then was going to look for some recipes to try for a brunch I’m having soon. Here you are with the perfect solution. Thank you.

• lifeonthecutoff says:

I just had to tell you that I made these last night for a brunch today. There is one little square left – and everyone wanted the recipe. These are so easy and so delicious. The recipe is now in my recipe file. When we do blogs, we don’t always hear when someone actually tries something we have suggested, so, I wanted you to know that you helped make my brunch a sweet success.

• Becky says:

You just made my day! Thank you so much for taking the time to come back over to post this sweet comment. I’m thrilled that the recipe worked well for you and that you’ve added it to your collection. 🙂

2. Robin Jean Marie says:

Hey, Becky! I’ve finally found the “European connection” and answered your request to post a recipe for my low sugar cobbler. This one uses only 5 TBSP sugar, for a large 13x9x3″ pan (I kept in a little sugar for purposes of the general population), but you can cut down sugar as you dare! Hope you like it–I’ll be posting other similar recipes in the next few weeks.
    Enyoy your vacation. 🙂

Share your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s